Saturday, January 16, 2010

Uncharted Waters

20 Weeks, 1 day

Well we are past the halfway point, and we are in new territory here. One day past the 'old record'. I have almost been holding my breath the last few days waiting for something to happen. Nothing did. Everything has been smooth and normal. That word has be getting used a lot lately, normal.

Most of my life I have despised the word normal and ever being associated with it. It's right up there with 'average' and 'ordinary'. Most things about me and in my life have not been normal. I don't do things the way the average person does. My thinking is usually contrary to the common public. My creations are often considered weird, bizarre and creepy. Those who have been to our house will agree. And yet, here we have this creation rolling around inside me and I am so happy to be normal!

Griffin and I have been doing a lot of taking in regards to how we will raise little Piper. That won't be normal. Actually, I am afraid that her interactions with the outside world might 'normalize' her too much. Griffin and I are in total agreement when it comes to virtually every aspect of the rearing process and its lack of normalcy. It won't be easy, but we are both stubborn and driven.

Here are a few things that we plan on doing and not doing: using only cloth diapers, breast feeding, feeding only organic animal products - possibly lacto-ovo vegetarian until she is old enough to choose, no TV, no weird kids music - we will raise her on real music good old fashioned rock-n-roll, no Dora or Elmo or nouveau animated whatevers, no fast food, no materialism, no Chrismas (at least no santa, piles of gifts and tons of greed - the family gatherings are fine), no believing in fairy tales - no easter bunny, tooth fairy, monsters in your closet, no god, no ghosts, no heaven, no angels, no devil, no SANTA - we do not want to lie to her only to have to tell her the truth later.

Ok, you think we are nuts. What will we do with her?

Read to her, play with her, go outside and do stuff, garden, dig in the dirt, look at the plants and wild creatures, have a love and respect for nature, help her become curious about the world, take her to 'real' places like the shore and national parks (not the ball pit a Chuckie Cheese), feed her real food - we eat vegetarian at home (I am not opposed to letting her eat meat, but it must be organic meat if we go that route, the commercial meat industry is horrific). We will help foster creativity and a love of learning, a desire to try to do things even when they are hard or frustrating. We will travel with her and show her as much of the world as we can. Encourage her to appreciate life at all moments, not just looking forward and waiting for something to happen. (I need to work on that one these days!) Griffin and I don't do things just because they are easy, but because they are right and they add something to our lives. We want her to have experiences that will help her grow into a person she will be proud to be. Since we are putting all of our eggs in one basket, we want to do this right. At least what is right in our minds.

Okay, okay, I am getting ahead of myself. We have to make it through the next 20 weeks....




No comments:

Post a Comment