Friday, January 8, 2010

The Bump

19 weeks

I spend far too much time thinking about my bump. I did not really have much of a bump with the last pregnancy due to the lack of fluid to take up space in my uterus. Now, there is clearly a bump, but is it the right size? In the right place? How come I can't feel my fundus?

If you Google 'pregnancy week-by-week' you will find photos of women showing off their pregnant bellies. This strikes me as rather strange. I guess I can see the appeal of photographing your progress through pregnancy, but I can't understand why they would post them on the internet. I feel like it is almost improper to be looking at them. It's a bit voyeuristic for me.

My bump takes on many forms depending on the moment. If I am standing normally, it sticks out a bit like 1/4 of a soccer ball. If I really relax I can get nearly half of a soccer ball bump to pop out. I can stand with good posture and it sticks straight out or if I slump my shoulders it points down. I can get my belly to wave if I go back and forth a bunch of times. I wonder if Piper enjoys the ride? If I suck in my gut it looks like a weird, rippled lumpy belly. Not at all attractive. I don't do that one a lot.

The best part of my bump is the rolling feeling that I get when she moves. I did not have this last time because the lack of fluid kept the fetus from being able to move much. But now it feels like I am on a roller coaster doing whoop-de-dos. I rather enjoy it and am looking forward to when Griffin can experience this too.

When I tell him that I can feel her move he sounds excited, but it is still abstract for him. I think when he can feel her move on the outside it will become more real. Of course at that point I think she may feel like a crazed jack-rabbit to me instead of the pleasant rolling feel. We shall see.




No comments:

Post a Comment