Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Out of Gas

18 weeks, 5 days

I knew I was getting low on gas when I left this morning. I got to work and made a mental note to fill up the Mini on the way home. It is about 20 miles from work to home and my warning light turned on the way to work. I have had this car for 5 years and thought I had a good feel for how far I could push it. I was wrong.

I kept looking at the red light, but the gas gauge wasn't budging. I thought I would be able to make it. As I drove up the final and largest hill on the last stretch of highway near my home, my car sputtered and stalled. I was in the left lane and made it across the other 2 lanes to get to the shoulder on the right. My heart was pounding.

I put the car in part and debated what to do. Call AAA? They would take forever to get to me. Call Griffin? He had run out of gas when I was with him in his old Landcruser. We were 1/4 mile from the gas station and he had to push it while I steered. It was hysterical. I knew I had to swallow my pride and call him.

Without as much as a snicker, he told me he would go get some gas and find me. Within 25 minutes he arrived. He put 2 gallons in my tank and the car started right up. I thanked him, he told me he'd see me at home and he hopped back in his truck.

When I got home, I thanked him again and I admitted my mistake. He still didn't snicker at me. I love Griffin.



No comments:

Post a Comment