Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sometimes You Just Need a Friend

22 weeks, 6 days.

Back to the fish saga . . . I checked my email all day today to see if my fish had been delivered. The fish place had sent me an email last night telling me that they had been shipped via Fedex overnight. I knew the fish would arrive by 3pm today.

Griffin had a couple of meetings today, so he would not be home to take the box of fish inside. I planned ahead and left a note on the door for the Fedex guy to leave the box in the little foyer area. When I checked my mail at 2pm, I saw that the fish had been delivered. I was relieved that they made it in one day (sometimes it doesn't work out even if it is supposed to be overnight).

I left work as soon as I could and raced home. I hoped my little fish would not be freezing on our stoop. When I pulled into the driveway, I did not see the box, so I figured it must have be put inside. I gathered all of my stuff: my school bag, water bottle, coffee cup, keys and got out of the car. I took two steps, planted my foot on some muddy grass and after a dramatic wobble landed squarely on my hip. My hand caught a large part of the fall too. I just stayed there for a couple of moments.

There was mud on my bag, mud on my coat, mud on my shoes. I did a quick mental check and I seemed to be okay, if not a little shaken. I gathered up all of my stuff again and headed into the house. I was pretty shaky, but I had my new fish to distract me.

I opened the box - everyone looked fine. I prepared to acclimate the fish and went into the sunroom with all of my supplies. I wanted to get it done before the nurse came to give me my progesterone shot. I took off my sweater and set stuff up. After noticing that there were a few plants that needed tucking in, I took off my long-sleeve t-shirt and reached into the tank.

Standing there in my bra, digging around in the tank, I heard the doorbell ring. Figures. The nurse was early. I tried to get my t-shirt back on, but my wet arms made it very difficult. Finally after struggling with that for a moment, I dashed down the hall to the door. It was the mailman. I had to sign for some certified mail.

I went back to the sunroom and finished working with the fish. They are all happily swimming around in their new home. I got done just in time for the nurse to come and give me my shot in my other hip. Now I hurt on both sides. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment